Ontario Provides Additional Protection for Retirement Home Residents and Staff in MississaugaPublished on March 16, 2021
Investment will help cover costs for COVID related expenses
March 16, 2021
Mississauga-Erin Mills — The Ontario government is locally investing $308,579.55 in Mississauga-Erin Mills to help the retirement home sector cover COVID-19 related costs such as hiring, training and testing additional staff, and sanitizing residences and purchasing supplies to prevent and contain the spread of infection. This is part of the $30 million announced yesterday by Minister Raymond Cho. This funding is also in addition to the $30.9 million that the province provided retirement homes earlier in the pandemic.
“The health and well-being of seniors is of the utmost importance to our government”, said Sheref Sabawy, MPP for Mississauga-Erin Mills. “This investment will increase Infection Prevention and Control measures to keep retirement home residents and workers safe. Specifically, this funding will go toward purchasing personal protective equipment, cleaning supplies, and hiring additional staff for testing and infection prevention and control”.
Ontario has more than 770 licensed retirement homes and many are run by small operators who urgently need the government’s support to deal with rising costs related to fighting COVID-19. Ontario’s retirement homes have been working cooperatively with public health officials across the province to ensure best practices are being followed to prevent and control COVID-19 and to help get residents and staff vaccinated.
“Retirement home operators are working tirelessly to stop the spread of COVID-19 and keep residents and staff safe,” said Raymond Cho, Minister for Seniors and Accessibility. “Our government’s additional funding will enable retirement homes to purchase more critical supplies like PPE, products to carry out deep cleaning, or to support more on-site testing to help further prevent and contain outbreaks.”
Under the leadership of General (Ret’d) Rick Hillier, Ontario’s three-phase vaccination plan is making steady progress. To-date over 56,000 residents and over 23,000 workers in retirement homes have received the first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, and of them over 35,000 residents and 15,000 staff have received both doses.
“Our priority since the start of the pandemic has been clear – protecting people’s health. That means ensuring retirement home operators and staff have the resources they need to keep people safe,” said Peter Bethlenfalvy, Minister of Finance and President of the Treasury Board. “Making sure our seniors are protected and cared for is part of our plan to do whatever is necessary to defeat COVID-19.”
Healthy people are essential for a healthy economy. On March 24, the government will release the 2021 Ontario Budget. It will focus on protecting people’s health, with a plan to defeat COVID-19, and support for people and jobs.
- Ontario has more than 770 retirement homes with capacity to house more than 66,000 residents.
- Visit Ontario’s website to learn more about how the province continues to protect the people of Ontario from COVID-19.
- By 2023, there will be 3 million Ontarians over the age of 65 – older adults are the province’s fastest growing demographic.
- Amica Erin Mills has received $50,480.78
- Parkland on the Glen has received $52,921.44
- Sunrise Senior Living of Erin Mills has received $34,480.93
- The Erinview has received $30,955.54
- The Village of Erin Meadows has received $90,616.00
- V!VA Mississauga Retirement Community has received $49,124.86
MPP Sheref Sabawy’s Office
MPP Sheref Sabawy’s Office
Director of Communications
Minister Cho’s Office
Ministry for Seniors and Accessibility